Alopecia in men (baldness): how to cope with a problem?
Even in case of severe baldness, there is a chance to regain lost hair.
With minimally invasive procedures, you can restore your hair in its natural form - with a natural angle of inclination, growth and density.
Some clinics offer hair follicle transplantation services that allow you to recover lost hair in various forms of baldness, avoiding scars, scars and discomfort during the procedure.
The cost of hair transplantation depends on the desired results and the degree of baldness.
With the help of hair follicle transplantation, you can restore hair at almost any age, both men and women.
Creating a 3D illusion of thick hair allows you to hide the effects of baldness without damaging the remaining hairline. The procedure is painless and does not require local anesthesia.
Interest-free installments for 6 and 12 months for hair follicle transplantation.
The formation of bald patches in men can begin at any age. However, not every representative of the stronger sex is able to calmly accept their new image. What can be done to get rid of bald spots? Let's talk about it.
Causes of baldness on the head in men
Bald head in men does not form overnight, its appearance is preceded by active hair loss. A noticeable thinning of the hair can be caused by a variety of reasons. Among them, hormonal imbalance, viral or fungal diseases, prolonged stress, shock, as well as lack of vitamins, poor ecology, exposure to high and low temperatures. If baldness is caused by one of these reasons, then hair follicles can be revived during rehabilitation procedures and complex therapy, and thereby activate hair growth.
However, if the appearance of a bald spot is promoted by a genetic, or androgenic predisposition, then the hair disappears irrevocably. This process is developed as follows. In the body, an excessive content of the male sex hormone - dihydrotestosterone - is formed. Hypersensitivity of hair follicles to this compound develops, leading to their weakening. Hair begins to fall out - first in front, in the frontal zone, then in the crown zone.
It is customary to distinguish the following main stages of baldness:
- Minimum deepening of the front line of hair growth in the frontotemporal region.
- The front line acquires two symmetrical triangular baldness zones directed to the top of the head. Hair becomes less common throughout the parietal region.
- Frontotemporal bald patches noticeably deepen. Hair loss begins in the crown area.
- Frontal and crown baldness is amplified, but these zones are still separated from each other by a jumper from a moderately dense hair line.
- Hair loss is progressing, the strip dividing the baldness zone is becoming narrower. A horseshoe-shaped form of the hairless region is formed.
- Deprived of hair frontotemporal and vertex areas are connected. The entire area of baldness expands in the direction of the occiput and on the sides.
- At this stage, there remains only a narrow horseshoe-shaped strip of hair extending from the ears back to the back of the head. Hair is very thin on the back of the head and in the area of both auricles.
How to get rid of bald spots
Today, there are many ways to get rid of baldness. Let's consider them in detail.
Wigs & Lining
One of the most famous ways of getting rid of bald spots in men since ancient times is a wig. If baldness has not acquired a total character, then you can use the pad, which covers only the baldness zone. Indeed, such a method immediately visually solves the existing problem. However, it is not so easy to choose a wig that would look natural, and not all men are ready to use a patch or a wig.
It is a kind of permanent makeup. Just note that this pleasure is not cheap. Trichopigmentation is not a treatment, the procedure only masks the missing hair with the help of a shallow injection of pigment into the scalp. Hair is drawn on the head. The effect is similar to a 2-3-day stubble. Since this is a cosmetic procedure, not a medical one, the health risks are minimal. They can only be associated with the use of low-quality paint or non-compliance with hygiene rules when applying a tattoo.
Since the problem of the formation of baldness in men has been worrying mankind since ancient times, there are many folk remedies for combating baldness. For example, it is recommended to rub in the scalp tincture of birch leaves in alcohol or vodka for 1-2 months. Between courses should take a month break. Another method is to pour the pulp of brown bread with boiling water, wait until the mass has cooled, then rub it into the scalp and wrap it with a towel. Keep the mask for half an hour, then rinse.
Indeed, natural products, in contact with the hair, saturate it with vitamins and minerals. However, these methods are good for strengthening hair, but with violent androgenic alopecia they, alas, are ineffective.
In the line of any cosmetic brand that produces hair care products, there are shampoos and balms to strengthen them. On the labels you can also see the inscriptions: "for weakened hair", "for brittle hair", "prevents hair loss." To combat baldness in men, it is recommended to use shampoos, which include extracts of ruscus, ginseng, horse chestnut, mountain arnica, rosemary, pepper. Aminexil-based products (L'Oreal Professionnel and Vichy products) and anagelin (Readdress) also help. These substances help stimulate hair growth. But just like folk methods, these shampoos are only hair care and strengthening products, but they do not solve the problem of hair loss as such.
Basically, these are nutritional supplements and balanced preparations containing a complex of vitamins and minerals that promote hair growth, and extracts of medicinal plants may also be part of them. Of these, pantovigar, perfectil, selencin, nutricap, rinfoltil and others are the most popular. Each drug has its own characteristics, so before you start taking them, you should consult a doctor. These funds will be more effective along with other methods, for example, with folk or cosmetic. They will strengthen the hair, possibly stop their active loss, but only if the problem is not hormonal or genetic in nature.
To improve the condition of the hair, a number of procedures have been developed:
- Mesotherapy It is a cycle of injection of special drugs directly into the scalp. Most often, zinc, selenium, copper, magnesium, hyaluronic acid, vitamins (A, B, C, E, etc.), fatty acids, amino acids, enzymes are used as active ingredients. Nutrients enter the follicles and begin to intensify their work already in the process. Mesotherapy is painless and quite effective. However, it is effective only if the follicles, albeit weakened, are still alive. In the case when the patient has already formed a bald spot, there is no point in conducting such a procedure.
- Laser therapy carried out using a low-frequency pulsed laser beam. It enters the surface of the scalp to a depth of 6-8 mm. The energy of laser radiation improves blood circulation in the hair and accelerates metabolism. The procedure is effective in the presence of live follicles.
- Darsonvalization - This method is named after the French physiologist D’Arsonval, who proposed using high-frequency electric currents for therapeutic purposes back in the late 19th century. In this case, the effect on the hair occurs with the help of a special portable device, similar to curling irons. The procedure can be performed both in beauty salons and at home. Living follicles actively respond to this effect, so darsonvalization is quite effective and painless. Whether this method is shown to you, only a doctor can determine, as there are a number of contraindications.
- Ozone therapy - This is an enrichment of the scalp with ozone. To restore hair, a series of almost painless injections of medical ozone into the scalp is made. During the procedure, triatomic oxygen turns into ordinary oxygen and begins to actively penetrate into the tissues. Another method of ozone therapy is wrapping. A cap is put on the patient’s head, into which ozone is applied, acting on the scalp and hair. This method is absolutely painless, but slightly less effective than injections, since it is superficial and the active substance does not directly enter the skin. Ozone therapy brings a visible result when active hair loss is just beginning.
- Phototherapy - Another way to restore the hair to its former splendor. During the procedure, a certain dose of ultraviolet light or bright light from artificial sources is exposed to the scalp. To do this, use fluorescent or dichroic lamps, light emitting diodes, lasers. The length of the light wave and the time of its exposure is determined by the trichologist. The procedure can be carried out both in medical and cosmetology centers, and at home - using special equipment. Phototherapy is only effective in the presence of live follicles.
- PRP therapy - A procedure to activate the hidden reserves of the body. This is due to the use of our own blood plasma. The doctor takes from the patient no more than 50 ml of venous blood. Then it is processed, the result is a liquid plasma, or plasmafiller. The resulting composition is injected into the scalp. The introduced biomaterial triggers the natural mechanisms of self-healing, regeneration and treatment, stimulating hair growth. According to practicing trichologists, at the initial stage of baldness in men, this method is very effective.
This is a very popular way to get rid of baldness in men. It consists in the transplantation of grafts or follicles (from those zones where they actively grow into the baldness zone). As a result, hair appears on the head again, even after total baldness. The procedure requires virtuoso skill from the doctor, otherwise scars may appear on the skin. Hair transplantation in most cases is carried out in several stages. Surgical transplantation, involving the extraction of large area grafts from the scalp, is cheaper than a “manual” follicle transplant, but scars remain after it. Subject to all requirements of the procedure, the result becomes noticeable after 3-4 months. Hair restoration through transplantation solves a large number of psychoemotional problems in men.
Baldness is not a sentence. As we have seen, today there are many ways to stop hair loss and strengthen the follicles, and sometimes to return, it would seem, permanently lost hair. Which procedure to choose in each case depends on the degree and cause of baldness, as well as the individual characteristics of the patient's body.
HFE: hair restoration with minimal trauma
If a bald spot has already formed, then transplantation of scalp hair may be the solution. We recommend that you pay attention to one of the leading metropolitan clinics of trichology conducting this procedure - Hair for ever.
You can get rid of bald spots once and for all with the help of HFE hair follicle transplantation (Hear Follicle Extraction), which is successfully practiced in this Moscow clinic. HFE specialists use a special tool that no other clinic in Russia works with. This allows you to achieve a natural look of regrowing hair. The procedure is carried out by experienced trichologists under local anesthesia. The Trichology Clinic Hair for ever gives everyone the opportunity to find lost hair, and at the same time - attractiveness and self-confidence.
The license for medical activity LO-77-01-017926 dated April 19, 2019 was issued by the Moscow Department of Health.
Alopecia in men (baldness): how to cope with a problem?
Alopecia in men is a cosmetic problem associated with progressive hair loss. Visible manifestations of pathology often occur after 30 years.
Long hair is gradually replaced by fluffy - they become shorter over time, lose their color. The man begins to notice thinning of hair on the crown, then alopecia descends to the forehead.
This type of baldness is called androgenic and occurs in 85% of cases in men.
General description and pathogenesis
Androgenic alopecia in men leads to follicular miniaturization. The duration of the anagen phase (active hair growth) is reduced.
More bulbs go into the telogen phase (dormancy stage) and lose the hair shaft. This pathological change progresses and over time leads to almost complete atrophy of the hair follicle.
The disease refers to multifactorial. But the genetic predisposition plays a key role.
If close blood relatives have an excess of androgens (the collective name for male steroid sex hormones) in the blood, and there is also a hypersensitivity of androgen receptors to them, then the disease is most likely to be transmitted genetically.
What target cell will be affected by androgens on the hair follicle is not clear, but there is an assumption that this is mesenchymal tissue - the dermal papilla, fibrous bag.
Alopecia in men: causes
Androgenic alopecia in men has different causes. The disease is transmitted genetically, but can become acquired in various hormonal disorders.
Endocrine dysfunctions (for example, adrenal gland diseases, thyroid gland diseases) often lead to an excess of androgens. By the way, pathology is also found in women.
The relationship of the disease is observed in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Since the prostate is the same androgen-dependent tissue.
Dermatologist Mary Alice Mina
A non-determining, but significant role in the development of alopecia in men is played by psychosomatics. Nervous tension negatively affects all body systems, including circulatory.
When stress occurs, vasospasm occurs, which affects the flow of nutrients, oxygen to the hair follicles. Accordingly, the functioning of the latter is disrupted.
But it should be noted that alopecia in this case does not occur immediately, but after 2–4 months under the condition of prolonged chronic nervous tension: hopelessness, nervous exhaustion, panic attacks, feelings of anxiety, causeless anxiety, low self-esteem, depression, fear, etc.
In a healthy person, about 15% of all hairs are at rest.
Dermatologist Brian Chen
Various conditions associated with a decrease in immunity and a deterioration in health take part in the development of baldness.
In what cases is this possible:
- Long-term use of potent drugs. There are many drugs in which hair loss is a side effect: cytostatics, antidepressants, hormones, diuretics, etc.
- Infections Infectious diseases negatively affect the general state of immunity, can lead to weakening of the bulbs. Prolapse occurs with fungal infections of the scalp, for example, with dermatophytosis (ringworm).
- Vitamin deficiency. Even healthy and strong hair will begin to thin, fade and fall out if the person’s diet is poor in relation to the nutrient composition. It is important that the body regularly receives vitamins and minerals from products from all food groups: cereals, beans, herbs, vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, nuts, oils. Nutrition should be varied and balanced, there should not be an excess of certain substances, as well as their deficiency.
Three of the above cases do not belong to the etiological factors of androgenetic alopecia, they can become independent causes of baldness in both men and women.
There will be completely different manifestations of pathology. However, with a genetic predisposition to androgenetic alopecia can significantly affect the speed of its development and progression.
It is accompanied by the formation of shiny smooth areas on the scalp in the area of hair growth. This is due to the fact that such areas do not contain follicles.
Among the possible causes: abnormal development of the bulbs, various infections (syphilis, herpes, leprosy), pituitary adenoma, basal cell cancer, prolonged treatment with steroids.
But the most common etiological factors are: burns, injuries, previous inflammatory diseases, exposure to aggressive chemistry, frostbite.
All this leads to damage to the bulbs, their inflammation, atrophy. Instead, connective tissue grows.
Such alopecia occurs in men at a young age (after 20 years). At first, the hair becomes oily, becomes excessively shiny, sticks together in locks and looks as if they were oiled.
On the scalp you can still see yellowish scales. All this is accompanied by painful itching and sometimes the addition of seborrheic eczema.
Pathology develops rather slowly. First, their life time is shortened by hair, they thin, thin, and are replaced by short, thin, colorless hairs.
As the disease progresses, bald patches become pronounced and usually appear from the edges of the frontal area toward the back of the head or from the crown in the direction of the forehead and back of the head. At the same time, the focus of the bald head is framed by a strip of healthy and densely growing hairs.
Diffuse and total
This classification is not by reason, but by the prevalence and rate of progression of pathology.
When baldness affects only the area of the head, they speak of a diffuse type.
Total alopecia in men is manifested by baldness on the beard, and on the head, and in the area of the eyebrows, and even the body. And in fact, and in another case, the pathology is manifested by a uniform thinning of the hair in the entire area of the head.
Total alopecia can cause infectious diseases, strict diets, lack of vitamins, gastrointestinal diseases, treatment with potent drugs, thyroid disorders and more.
Dermatologist Corey Frucht
To begin the correct treatment, it is important to establish the type of alopecia. If necessary, you will need to undergo a series of diagnostic studies to determine the stage of development of the disease, the condition of the follicles, as well as assess the overall health.
Diagnosis is usually not difficult, because externally you can easily determine the decrease in the density of growth of hairs or notice areas with their complete absence. It is more difficult to identify the cause of the pathology in order to prescribe a treatment regimen.
To do this, you need the consultation of a trichologist, and in some cases, additional specialists (rheumatologist, endocrinologist, psychotherapist, immunologist).
A comprehensive diagnostic examination of the level of hormones (genital, thyroid gland) is usually prescribed.
It is also recommended to take tests to exclude autoimmune processes in the body (lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.).
If serious infections are suspected, a blood serology is prescribed, an anti-cardiolipin test. A test is carried out with pull-ups - the hair easily comes off if you apply minimal effort to it.
Without fail, the hair shaft and skin are examined for signs of fungal infection. Taking a biopsy from the skin in the area of hair growth helps to identify dermatomycosis, lichen, etc.
Dermatologist Michael Rogers
Complex treatment is usually prescribed. As a rule, there are no special recommendations for shampooing, if it is not about seborrheic alopecia.
In the latter case, washing the strands should not be more than 1 r. in 7 days. It is recommended to use healing shampoos based on minoxidil, they help the hairs grow by improving microcirculation in the scalp.
Treatment of alopecia in men at home should include the intake of vitamins, nutrition correction. The body must receive zinc, copper. Therefore, in the daily menu you need to include products that contain these substances: liver, cereals, fish, mushrooms, green vegetables, oranges.
It should exclude coffee, alcoholic beverages and other substances that affect the functioning of the nervous system.
With a cicatricial form, it is necessary to eliminate the root cause of the pathology in order to stop the progression of the disease and prevent total hair loss.
In this case, medications can be prescribed to eliminate the underlying disease, and after cure - surgical excision of the affected areas and hair transplantation.
Follicular miniaturization with androgenic form is often partially reversible if timely measures are taken and long-term medication is treated for bulbs that have not exhausted the reserves for regeneration processes.
Solutions with minoxidil are prescribed. The patient should be treated for a long time (up to 1 year) in order for the treatment to have an effect.
It is important to consider that preparations containing minoxidil have limitations on their use and certain adverse reactions. They are not recommended for vascular, blood, heart diseases. Hormonal treatment of pathology, hair transplantation is also practiced.
Dermatologist Ben Bechnam
Nest type, as a rule, does not require specific treatment. The growth of the strands resumes without external intervention for several years, but this requires eliminating the factors that provoke the problem.
Unfortunately, relapses are common in this case. Since it is difficult to protect oneself from the effects of stress, to prevent a shortage of certain substances in the body.
To stimulate hair growth, furocoumarins are prescribed (based on plant materials). If the cause of the problem is mycoses, then they are treated with antifungal drugs.
As a rule, after successful therapy, the growth of strands resumes. But there are exceptions in which the only treatment is hair transplantation.
Additionally, darsonvalization, plasmolifting, electrophoresis, massage, etc. can be prescribed.
Types of baldness
Androgenetic alopecia is the first among all types of baldness, and causes hair loss in 96% of men. It is hereditary and is transmitted in the form of genetic information at birth. As a result of this type of baldness in men, the parietal and frontal part of the head is affected.
The reason for this is the influence of the male hormone dihydrotestosterone on the hair follicles. The first signs of beginning baldness are: discoloration of the hair, as well as becoming thin and short.
It is formed as a result of a malfunction of the body. This type of alopecia has 2 forms. Anagen alopecia can be caused by: intoxication of the body with any poisons, radiation, chemotherapy used in the treatment of cancerous tumors. Moments of mental overstrain, diet, and also some hereditary diseases lead to telogen alopecia.
Focal or nesting baldness
A distinctive sign of such baldness is a focal lesion of the scalp of a rounded shape. The disease occurs due to a malfunction in the human immune system, in which root follicles are damaged. The cause may be: a viral disease, emotional stress, anesthesia.
Most often, the causes of cicatricial alopecia are: fungi, bacteria, viruses, progressing in the skin and hair of the head. Physical and thermal injuries can also cause the disease. An irreversible process of damage to the hair follicles occurs, which causes inflammation and leads to their overgrowing with connective tissue.
Medical treatment for baldness
When the first signs of increased hair loss appear, you need to contact a specialist to determine the cause. With the help of drugs it is impossible to achieve a complete cure for baldness, so the hair returns to its original state almost immediately after the drug is withdrawn.
Before getting carried away with the purchase of advertised drugs, you must consult a competent medical professional to exclude side effects and an allergic reaction.
Androgenetic alopecia can also be treated with laser combing, which is more effective in specialized medical centers than at home, as well as using surgical intervention.
With diffuse alopecia, the source of the disease is initially identified and eliminated. In further treatment, hair growth stimulants are used in the form of sprays, balms and masks.
The treatment of cicatricial alopecia occurs only with the help of surgical intervention.
To prevent excessive hair loss, it is recommended to adhere to a few tips for proper care of them. Proper washing of the head is of great importance. You need to choose the right shampoo, and also, whenever possible, wash your hair with boiled water. In the summer, you should not neglect headgear, as direct sunlight burns hair and scalp.
In the future, this can lead to brittle hair and the appearance of skin itching. Do not forget about hats in the winter. Statistics confirm that rapid hair loss in men at an early age can also be a consequence of inflammation of the prostate. In this regard, an immediate visit to the urologist is recommended.
Folk remedies for baldness in men
Bow against bald head
Folk remedies for baldness in men are very effective. One of such means can be attributed to treatment with ordinary onions, or rather, its gruel, which is used to rub into the scalp.
The only drawback of this method may be a strong odor that lasts for a long time on the hair, even after repeated washing. A small onion should be grated and add 2 teaspoons of honey to it.
Mix everything well and rub into the scalp, leaving the product for 1 hour. After this procedure, rinse your hair with shampoo.
Calendula will help with hair loss
To prepare the solution, you need 2 tablespoons of dried calendula inflorescences and a glass of vodka, which you need to fill in the flowers and leave for 1 week so that the solution is infused. The prepared tincture should be filtered and diluted with water 1: 2.
If it is not possible to prepare the tincture by yourself, then it can always be purchased at a pharmacy; pharmacy medicine must be diluted with water 1: 3. The procedure is carried out by wetting and applying a tissue to a place prone to baldness. You need to keep no more than 1 hour, apply 1 time in 2 days.
Since ancient times, people have been treated with different oils. To prepare the mask you will need burdock or castor oil in the amount of 2 tablespoons, which must be mixed with a tablespoon of mustard powder. This mixture should be left for 30 minutes, warm up a little before use and rub lightly into the scalp.
The duration of this procedure is 20 minutes. Application is recommended 2 times a week. This recipe uses approximate dosages that must be adjusted during use, depending on the individual effect on the skin.
It should be noted that when applying the mask, a slight burning sensation should be felt, otherwise, the dosage of mustard should be reduced. The mask is washed off by double soaping using shampoo.
Recipes of natural conditioners after washing from hair loss
These rinses, prepared from natural raw materials, must be used immediately after washing the head, accompanied by rinsing with a light massage. Decoctions before use should be cooled and filtered.
- A glass of boiling water pour 1 tablespoon of hop cones and boil for half an hour.
- Fruits, buds and leaves of nasturtium in the amount of 2 tablespoons are poured with half a liter of boiling water. The container must be closed with a lid and insisted until it cools completely.
- Dry flowers of calendula and coltsfoot, 1 tablespoon of both, pour 0.5 liters of hot water and boil for 20 minutes.
Decoctions and masks for baldness to rub into the scalp
Medicines such as masks and decoctions are recommended for weekly rubbing into the scalp. These drugs must first go through the cooling and straining stages.
- The mixture prepared from the crushed roots of burdock and calamus, pour a glass of hot water and boil for 20 minutes.
- Grind the bark of oak and willow, add chopped thyme to them. Take 1 tablespoon of each ingredient and pour a glass of boiling water. Boil the resulting solution for 25 minutes. The rubbing procedure in the scalp is recommended at night.
- Rubbing brown bread soaked in boiling water into the scalp promotes intensive hair growth.
- A very effective mask against hair loss and stimulation of hair growth can be prepared by mixing the following components in equal amounts: aloe juice, honey, garlic juice, egg yolk. After application to the scalp, wrap with a handkerchief or towel and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm boiled water, followed by rinsing with chamomile infusion.
The treatment of baldness in men with folk remedies has proven itself very well in practice, it has been successfully used by many people, moreover, it is quite affordable, natural and safe.
TOP 5 effective physiotherapy
In case of baldness, the following procedures can be prescribed:
- Darsonval. To perform this manipulation, magnetic oscillations are used. As a result, blood vessels expand, muscles relax. This has a positive effect on blood flow, follicular nutrition.
- Galvanization. In this case, they are exposed to low voltage current. The procedure perfectly affects the regeneration, enhances the growth of curls.
- Electrophoresis The procedure involves the supply of nutrients to the bulbs using electric current. As a result, follicles receive proper nutrition, which enhances growth.
- Laser technology. The laser is able to transform the appearance of hair, improve their growth.
- Cryotherapy. In this case, there is also an increase in nutrition, improved blood flow.
For hair loss, massage is helpful. To do this, you can use brushes or laser combs.
Dermatologist Michael Rogers
Recently, procedures such as mesotherapy and plasmolifting are gaining great popularity.
- Mesotherapy Special cocktails are introduced into the skin, which are saturated with vitamins and substances important for healthy hair.
- Plasma lifting. Initially, the blood of the patient is taken. After that, it is placed in test tubes in a special apparatus - a centrifuge. In this way, it turns out to separate the plasma, which is introduced into the skin.
If cosmetology is powerless, the patient may undergo a hair transplant. It is carried out using the strip method (FUT) or the seamless method (HFE). The procedure is complex, but effective.
Plastic Surgeon Manshi Shah
Androgens provoke a number of biological processes in androgen-dependent tissue, in this case, in the bulbs located on the scalp. Clinical manifestations depend on the concentration of hormones in the blood. In the hair follicles, testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone. The latter acts on sensitive receptors, which leads to a decrease in the follicle, the development of characteristic symptoms.
I recommend that you go to the doctor as soon as possible if you notice that your hair is thinning. Initially, cosmetic procedures, competent home care, and a change in lifestyle can help. In the future, mesotherapy and plasmolifting can be powerless. The most extreme measure is a hair transplant.
Alopecia in men on the head, the causes and treatment are different in each case. Therapy and prognosis largely depend on the type of baldness.
In some cases, a timely visit to a doctor and well-conducted treatment makes it possible to resume hair growth. Therefore, do not postpone a visit to a specialist if you notice the first signs of baldness.